Back-End Web Developer
The Back-End Web Developer for the NY.Gov Digital Team will be responsible for the overall technical success and continuous evolution of the NY.Gov and Governor.ny.gov websites and will help evaluate incoming requests in consideration of limitations and possibilities of the Drupal platform. The incumbent will work with the content team to make global changes to the websites that will help to improve experiences for users and for editors, and therefore must learn and fully understand all technical aspects of NY.Gov, Governor.NY.gov and additional Drupal websites related to the Executive Chamber. The Back-End Developer may also be tasked with application development, creation of workflows, migration and outputting data in multiple document formats. This individual will be expected to use best development, SEO practices, current web standards, and highest level of accessibility while upholding the style guide and integrity of the new websites. This position involves a flexible work schedule and will require working some nights and weekends to complete priority assignments.
Duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Configure server or installation for new websites
- Request and/or setup new domains
- Fix bugs and troubleshooting issues on new and existing websites
- Optimize the Drupal Content Management System for the NY.Gov Team
- Predict and take measures to protect websites during increases in traffic
- Act as the technical advisor for the NY.Gov Team
- Remain current with web standards and application of design trends
Qualifications: Nine or more years of website programming experience, including at least two years of experience working with Drupal Content Management System; at least three years of experience using languages such as PHP, Python, Perl, .NET, Ruby, or Java; and at least three years of experience working with HTML, CSS and jQuery.
A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field may substitute for four years of general experience.